So you’re all ready for your trip! You have your hotel booked, flights scheduled, suitcase packed, and visits scheduled with a Professional Pet Sitter.
Now that you have your visits booked with a Professional Pet Sitter, you can travel with peace of mind. To make sure your pet sitter has all the necessities to take the best care of your pet, check off the items on this handy list before you leave home.
- Notify your veterinarian in writing that a pet sitter will be caring for your pet and authorize vet to extend medical care during your absence if necessary.
- Provide verification that your pet is up-to-date on it’s shots and wearing current identification and vaccination tags.
- Be sure to tell your pet sitter about any unusual habits your bet has while you’re away. I.e. destructive behavior when left alone, change in bowel or eating habits, hiding places, etc.
Pet Proof Your Home
- Remove candy and nuts from coffee tables or locations where a pet can reach them. Chocolate is toxic to dogs and nuts can be dangerous as well.
- See that medications are locked up. The sound of pills rattling in a plastic bottle may entice a pet to chew the bottle open.
- Make sure cupboards and storage areas (garage) are secured. A bored or determined dog can go “where they’ve never gone before.”
- Make sure your pet sitter is aware of anyone who may be on your premises or entering your home during the pet-sitting assignment.
- Use timers on interior lights and program them to turn on at dusk and off at bedtime.
- Use motion sensors on exterior lights. If evening visits are scheduled to your home, the pet sitter will really appreciate this safety precaution!
- Inform your watchful neighbors of your absence and use of a pet sitter.
Then, relax and enjoy the trip – knowing your companion animals are in good hands!